Sunday, August 22, 2010

Stranded and Alone

Listening to "Clumsy" by Fergie while writing this blog.
"I like serious relationships and A girl like me dont stay single for long" - yeah right, I have been single for more than a year now, even though I very much treasure serious relationships.


When I booked myself the connecting flight of Jakarta-Kuala Lumpur-Langkawi, I was wondering whether the worst would happen to me - that my flight bound for KL will be delayed and I am gonna miss my connecting flight back to Langkawi. Oh come on, that won't happen right? (Have faith and confidence in Malaysia Airlines!) Thus happily I arranged everything for myself and made my way to KL first, then to Jakarta.


I checked out on 8th Aug, a gloomy Sunday. The Front Desk lady even told me that it's gonna be heavy rain later. I looked at my watched. 12 pm. Slightly anxious but unexplainable. "It's okay, your flight is 3:45 pm, everything's gonna be alright!" I reassured myself. Hopped to the taxi, I was glad that the driver drove as if he was Jensen Button and I reached the airport 5 minutes after 1 pm :)


Oh.My.God was the first thing I uttered when I reached the airport. So overwhelming. Too busy but not organized. My level of anxiety increased. I hushed myself to the check in counter the fastest I can, without wanting to ... to... see the worst thing happens.



Another shock! Passengers have already started to queue in front of the counters but ALL SIX counters were closed. Okay, again, I reassured myself, it's only 1.15 pm, check in time is 2 hours in advance. This is Jakarta, so bear with it.



I plugged in my earphone, blast the music at max volume and started to camwhore (with DSLR @@). I know this was absurd, but I was in a state of great uncertainty. I needed to do something to ease myself.


Finally, the counters were opened at 1:30 pm. Below was the conversation between the staff and me.


"Window seat or island seat?"
"Window seat, please, thank you."
"Sure. Are you flying anywhere after KL?"
"Erm, no..." I felt strange but I told him no, even though I was flying back to Langkawi after that. However, I didn't bother to tell him because, my connecting flight, was, via Air Asia. No point.

I thanked God when I have got my boarding pass and again, hushed myself to the departure hall. 


Why did I have to pay tax? Why? Why? Why?


While making my way to the departure hall, of course, I did stop and browsed some of the nice duty free shops :)


Okay, the lounge of departure hall. Nothing can be bad now. I found myself a nice spot, and read my book.


2.45 pm. Something was wrong. The plane was not here whilst boarding time was 3.15 pm. My level of anxiety increased tremendously again. I started to take photos again. My book, my passport in my passport holder and my boarding pass.



Let me tell you what was the ending. My flight, MH 720 bound for KL from Jakarta, was DELAYED. I found out when I realized the plane was not there even though it was already 3 pm. No announcement has been made. The officer apologetically told me that the next flight was 6.20 pm! I almost fainted when I heard that because that indicated that, I can never make my way back to Langkawi because the last flight was 9.15 pm, which was what I booked. This whole drama explained why did I feel anxious since the moment I checked out.


I was stranded at Soekarno-Hatta airport for almost 6 hours. I took off at 7 pm. Touched down at KL, went through the immigration and claimed my luggage and it was almost 11 pm. I went to MAS customer service office in KLIA, hoping they will be able to assist me in some way. To my greatest disappointment, they didn't seem to be bothered, just because I was taking Air Asia for my connecting flight. Well done, Malaysia Airlines. (Oh yes, I am being sarcastic!)


I went to LCCT, hoping to get last minute ticket from Air Asia after being so disappointed with MAS. Wasn't able to make online booking anymore as the departure time was less than 24 hours. The ticket counter was, CLOSED when I reached LCCT at about 12 am and will only open again 5 am later. It's okay, I told myself to be strong.Went to the ladies, freshened myself and made my way to Starbucks. It's only 5 hours, no point traveling back-and-forth to home, which takes at least 1.5 hour one-way. I was exhausted. I didn't want to walk anymore, I just wanted to sit, and talk to my notebook.


Being surrounded by travelers from all around the world in Starbucks that night, I do think that I am adventurous now. Despite how many people commented the same when they got to know I travel alone very frequently, I always deny that but after overcoming this connecting flight shit all by myself, I have started to agree with them.. That night, I text Mag, who happened to be in Jakarta too. I said "Now I see the importance of a boyfriend. I need one now". Indeed. That particular night, that horrible 12 hours, I really wanted someone to comfort me, someone to pull my head to his chest, gently strokes my hair and says "It's okay, don't worry, you are back now. As long as you are back in one piece...", and let me weep like a baby.


For once, I did feel like crying. That intention flashed when I reached LCCT. After 3 seconds, my little heart told me:"For what? There ain't anybody here to listen to you crying. Stop acting like a little girl, pull yourself and solve this shit!" Oh, that gave me courage anyway. I didn't cry because I know, there is no one that I will feel like putting off my shield and cry (yet) :)


It was a disastrous nightmare when one spent 12 hours in two airports. I took off at 7.30 am on Monday, 9th August, first flight to Langkawi. I slept the moment I sat in the plane, till the moment I landed. I was exhausted. Guess what, I had an appointment  scheduled at 12 pm that day. I made my way back to my apartment, took a great shower, and went to work after this long nightmare...


3 lessons learnt:
1. Do not take connecting flight
2. If I am ever forced to take connecting flight again, I will make sure I book the same airlines
3. Find someone who has a private jet :)


Lotsa love to all the individual travelers in the world Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment